Experience in statistical methodology
- Multivariate Analysis.
- Time Series. Econometrics. Spatial statistics.
- Applications statistics.
- Design of indicators.
- Software: R, S-Plus, Matlab, SPSS, Econometric Views, Statgraphics.
- Existence of Aggregation Rules in spaces preferences.
- Dynamics of Social Networks.
- Analysis of the scientific production of countries and institutions.
- Study on the scientific GAP between USA-Europe.
María Rosario López
- Obtaining quantitative indicators to assess the impact of gender on health. Can be applied to other areas such as research or institutions, etc.
- Designing of surveys and sampling designs.
- Using different multivariate analysis techniques:
- Factor analysis to obtain indicators (scores) through extensive surveys rather than intensive surveys in order to improve the quality of information.
- Correspondence analysis to determine profiles or groups through quantitative information and categorical variables.
- Multivariate regression models (linear, logistic and Cox regression) to model the relationship between variables in different contexts (quantitative, categorical or time dependent).
- Using different statistical software (mainly SPSS and SAS).
- Composite indicators.
- Stochastic optimization.
- Markovdecision processes.
Areas of research
- Mathematical models which explain the process of citation: Axioms / alternatives to the so-called “Matthew effect”.
- Create a dynamic model of social networks that satisfactorily explain the distribution of citations.
- To study citation speed in different areas.
- To study the distribution of citations.
- To design contrasts for such distributions, e.g., lognormal, exponential, etc.
- To identify priority fields on science (cluster analysis of data).
- Development of university rankings, in particular “Statistical methods for building Composite indicators” as a strategic tool for universities.
- When and how mathematics, physics and / or economic theory enters into the applied area? A “survival” model designed to measure how long an article on theory takes to be cited by an academic article in the applied area. A comparative study of academic journals is proposed as well as an analysis of their progress over a given period of time.
- Development of descriptive measures to compare the scientific production of different institutions.
- The measurement of the effect on citation inequality of differences in citation practices across scientific fields” (J. Crespo, Y Li and J Ruiz-Castillo). PLoS ONE, to appear (2013). DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0058727
- The citation merit of scientific publications” (J. Crespo, I. Ortuño-Ortin and J. Ruiz-Castillo) PLoS ONE, 7(11): e49156, (2012). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0049156
- “The Skewness of Science in 219 sub-fields and a number of aggregates” (J. Crespo, P. Albarran, I. Ortuño-Ortin and J Ruiz-Castillo) Scientometrics, 88 (2) 388-397, (2011). DOI: 10.1007/s11192-011-0407-9
- “A comparison of the scientific performance of the U. S. and the European Union and the turn of the XXI century” (J. Crespo, P. Albarran, I. Ortuño-Ortin and J Ruiz-Castillo) Scientometrics, 85 (1) 329-344, (2010). DOI:10.1007/s11192-010-0223-7
- “Improving quality assessment of composite indicators in university rankings: a case study of French and German universities of excellence” (M. Benito and R. Romera) Scientometrics, 89:153–176 (2011). DOI 10.1007/s11192-011-0419-5
- “Modeling the enrollment demand of masters programs for the Spanish public university system” (M. Benito and R. Romera) Scientometrics, 91, 113-130, (2012). http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs11192-011-0593-5
- “Improving quality of university rankings” (M. Benito and R. Romera) BEIO, 28 (2), 99-109 (2012). http://www.seio.es/BEIO/Improving-quality-of-university-rankings.html
- Mónica Benito Bonito (UC3M)
- Joan Crespo (UAM)
- Mª Rosario López (UAM)
- Rosario Romera (UC3M)